Simple, dairy-free, gluten-free and utterly delicious! Tahini honey cookies are our new favourites
Μπισκότα με ταχίνι και μέλι. If you have just stumbled across Mia Kouppa and are wondering what all the fuss is about, and especially if you are not sure that you should use precious ingredients on one of our recipes, we have a few things to say. First, welcome!!! We are so happy that you are here! Second, try this recipe for tahini honey cookies. Seriously. We know that this recipe will convince you that we are worth the risk.
Our tahini honey cookies are actually better than we could have hoped. We were looking to create a cookie that was egg-free and dairy-free (so perfect for lent) without compromising on great cookie joy. We also wanted to stay away from non-dairy butter and margarine, yet hoped for a buttery, luscious cookie eating experience. Were we asking too much? Maybe. But these cookies deliver. They also happen to be gluten-free and totally guilt-free! (Note: we consider all cookies to be guilt-free because guilt should be reserved for doing something awful, not for eating something delicious).
What is tahini?
Tahini is made from ground sesame seeds, and a good quality tahini will contain nothing else. Use the best quality tahini you can find for these tahini honey cookies.
Is tahini good for you?
Tahini is very high in protein, and is rich in B vitamins, vitamin E, as well as magnesium, iron and calcium. All that, as well as being relatively low in calories, makes tahini an ingredient that you definitely want to be incorporating into your diet. If you ask us, that means that these tahini honey cookies are healthy, and you should have them for breakfast 🙂 .
What are some common uses of tahini aside from these tahini honey cookies?
Tahini is a star ingredient in hummus as well as baba ghanoush. We also love to use tahini to make an oil-free salad dressing and as a simple topping for rice cakes which we then drizzle with honey and sprinkle with seeds. Of course, tahini is also a great ingredient for desserts, like these tahini honey cookies.
What kind of honey is best to use for these tahini honey cookies?
Any good quality honey that you enjoy will work well here. Keep in mind that the flavour of the honey will very significantly impact the flavour of your cookies. A dark honey may even alter the look of your cookies. None of this is bad, just something to keep in mind.
Looking for more delicious cookie recipes like tahini honey cookies? Here are some more ideas:
We love hearing from you! If you have made our recipes, or if you have a question or comment, or simply want to say Hi!, please leave a comment and star rating below! Also be sure to follow along with us, on Facebook, Instagram and Pinterest. We have lots of fun over there.
This post may contain some affiliate links, which means that we make a small commission off items you purchase at no additional cost to you.
Tahini honey cookies
- 1 Stand mixer or hand held mixer
- 1 Mini-scooper
- Parchment paper
- Baking tray
- Cooling rack
- 1½ cups almond flour
- ½ tsp baking soda
- ½ tsp cinnamon
- ¼ tsp nutmeg
- ¼ tsp salt
- ⅓ cup (80 mL) honey
- ⅓ cup (80 mL) tahini
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) water if needed
- ½ cup (70 grams) sesame seeds
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit
- In a medium size bowl whisk together the almond flour, baking soda, cinnamon, nutmeg and salt. Set aside.1½ cups almond flour, ½ tsp baking soda, ½ tsp cinnamon, ¼ tsp nutmeg, ¼ tsp salt
- In the bowl of your stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment blend together the honey and tahini until well combined.⅓ cup (80 mL) honey, ⅓ cup (80 mL) tahini
- Slowly add in the dry ingredients and mix well to combine. Add up to 2 tablespoons of water if you find that the batter is crumbly. Your dough should be moist enough to shape into balls.2 tbsp (30 mL) water
- Place your sesame seeds in a shallow bowl. Using a mini-scooper or a tablespoon, make balls of dough and roll them in the sesame seeds to coat them all around.½ cup (70 grams) sesame seeds
- Transfer the cookie dough to a parchment lined baking sheet and use a glass to press down to turn the balls into discs approximately ¼ inch thick.
- Bake in the middle rack of your oven for about 8-10 minutes or until golden brown. Allow your cookies to cool on the cookie tray for 3 - 5 minutes before transferring them to a cooling rack.