An easy and healthy cabbage and bean vegetable soup recipe
Learn how to make our easy and healthy Cabbage and bean soup recipe! Poor cabbage. We wish people would get excited about this cruciferous vegetable. Instead, most tend to turn (or block!) their nose at the mention of what we consider to be a wonder vegetable! Is it because it is so humble? Well, so are we, usually. Could it be genetics? Apparently yes, it can be! Maybe the only way the cabbage-haters have had cabbage is in a sad coleslaw drowned in bland mayonnaise? Whatever the reason, we hope that our cabbage and bean soup recipe will make cabbage lovers out of all of you!
It may seem odd to combine a somewhat gas-producing veggie like cabbage with beans, but hear us out! The beans add protein, body and flavour to this vegetable soup, and that is nothing to shy away from!
The flavours in this vegetable soup are truly wonderful. The cabbage is sweet, the broth is rich and flavourful from the spices and tomato, and the beans are hearty. Make our cabbage and bean soup recipe, serve it with some homemade bread and a side salad, and enjoy a nutritious and delicious dinner. You may fart a bit…but it will be worth it!
What is savoy cabbage?
Savoy cabbage is also sometimes called curly cabbage. It is usually more mild tasting and sweeter than regular green cabbage is. We also love savoy cabbage because as you peel away the leaves you realize that they are a little different. The outer leaves are dark green and become lighter as you get to the center of the cabbage. Their texture also is different.
If you prefer to use regular green cabbage in this soup you can. You can also use Napa cabbage if you prefer; you’ll be the one eating this soup so use what you like!
Can I make this cabbage and bean soup recipe ahead of time?
Yes! Like most good soups you can freeze our cabbage and bean soup recipe for several months. We like to use freezer bags or old yogourt containers to freeze our soups.
What is an easy way to slice cabbage?
To slice cabbage thinly, either for our red cabbage salt with apple or when we are making our amazing red lentil and bulgur wraps with a tahini slaw, we like to use a mandoline slicer. It’s a great kitchen hack! If you want to see more hacks, head on over to our YouTube channel to watch our kitchen hack video and more. While you’re there, can you please subscribe? We’ve been trying to get to 1,000 subscribers for a while now…it’s kind of embarrassing.
What kind of beans should I use in this recipe?
The recipe calls for white beans, and those can be either white kidney beans or navy beans. The reality however is that you can use canned chickpeas, or even red kidney beans. We like the more delicate flavour of the white beans, but as we mentioned before – this is your soup, so enjoy it as you like!
Looking for more great cabbage, bean and soup recipes? Check these out:
We love hearing from you! If you have made our recipes, or if you have a question or comment, or simply want to say Hi!, please leave a comment and star rating below! Also be sure to follow along with us, on Facebook, Instagram and Pinterest. We have lots of fun over there.
This post may contain some affiliate links, which means that we make a small commission off items you purchase at no additional cost to you.
Easy cabbage and bean soup recipe
- 1 Large soup pot
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 2 bay leaves
- ½ tsp cumin
- 1 carrot, diced or sliced into rounds
- 2 tbsp tomato paste
- 10 cups water
- 2 tbsp vegetable stock powder or 1 vegetable bouillon cube
- 540 ml white beans, canned
- ½ head Savoy cabbage sliced thinly; see Recipe Note
- 1 tsp salt or to taste
- ½ tsp pepper or to taste
- In a large pot heat your olive oil and add the onion and bay leaves. Saute over medium heat for approximately 5 minutes, stirring regularly, until the onion is translucent and slightly caramelized. Add the cumin and saute for an additional minute.2 tbsp olive oil, 1 medium onion, diced, 2 bay leaves, ½ tsp cumin
- Add carrots and tomato paste and cook, continuing to stir regularly for another 3 - 5 minutes. Next add the water, vegetable stock powder, beans and cabbage. Bring to a boil and then reduce heat to medium and cook, uncovered, for 30 minutes.1 carrot, diced or sliced into rounds, 2 tbsp tomato paste, 10 cups water, 2 tbsp vegetable stock powder, 540 ml white beans, canned, ½ head Savoy cabbage
- Season with salt and pepper and serve.1 tsp salt, ½ tsp pepper