Not just another pretty salad!
Do you think that the combination of tomato and mango sounds strange? We do too! In fact, if you had suggested a few months ago that this flavour combination would be delicious, we would have rolled our eyes and suggested that you put your tomatoes to a better use, like with a nice Greek salad perhaps.
It wasn’t until one of us was invited to a fancy-smancy golf club dinner which served a salad similar to this one, that we realized the combination of mangoes and tomatoes was more than just beautiful. Our taste buds were happy, and we used the memory of that moment to create the recipe below.
The youngest of our daughters does not care much for this salad, probably because we drone on and on about how wonderful it is. She says that we are getting excited about nothing, and that this is salad is no more than a mango salsa, chopped up big. Is she correct? Who cares! We love it, and we think you will too.
There are many ways to chop up a mango; some are much more effective and neater than others. We like to slice along both sides of the large pit, giving us two oval shaped portions of mango, with the peel still on. We then make a criss cross design with a sharp knife (carefully) and invert the mango. Then, using the same sharp knife, we simply cut the flesh of the mango away from the peel.
Mia Kouppa: Tomato and mango salad
- 1 cup diced mango
- 1 cup diced tomato
- 3 tablespoons chopped red onion
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh basil
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh mint
- 1/4 cup crumbled Greek feta (optional) For the dressing:
- 3 teaspoons lime juice
- 1 teaspoon white wine vinegar
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Combine the mango and tomato in a bowl. Add the red onion, basil and mint. Mix well to combine, but carefully so that you don’t bruise the fruit.
- To the same bowl add the ingredients for the dressing and toss gently to mix. There is no need to prepare the dressing in a separate bowl.
- If you choose to include the feta, add it at this point.
- This salad is best served immediately. Enjoy.