Maybe we’re a little late to the party, but this, folks, is a breakthrough for us. While thinking about what lovely cocktail to share with you in an upcoming post, our minds wandered across the myriad of possibilities. We contemplated the delicious ways we could serve up ouzo or Metaxa, all while sipping a lovely frappé, and munching on some fresh koulourakia; food blogging is hard work. It was then that we thought, “Hey, now hold on a minute! How about jazzing up a frappé?”
Several alcoholic experiments later (for research of course; food blogging is hard work, remember?!), we settled on Baileys Original Irish Cream. Added to your traditional frappé, this Irish whiskey liqueur turns an amazing, refreshing drink into something incredible. For us, this was a revelation! We realize that some of you may have already been adding a kick to your cold coffees (why did you not tell us?!), but for those of you, like us, who never imagined that frappé could be improved upon…here you go!
The recipe which follows is exactly the same as the one for our original frappé, except for the addition of the Baileys. Despite the fact that the Baileys is somewhat sweet, we kept the amount of sugar the same. We found that this gives a drink which is tasty, but not overly sweet. You can, of course, adjust to the sweetness level you prefer. We also did not add milk here; we usually don’t with our regular frappé either. Even if you do normally add milk to your cold coffee, you may find that you can do without in this version. The Baileys is rich and creamy, making milk a little redundant, or at least, unnecessary.
We added 1/2 ounce of Baileys to each glass of cold coffee. For us, this was the perfect amount to give a bit of a kick, and some lovely flavour. If you want more alcohol, simply increase the quantity; remember to drink responsibly 🙂
Mia Kouppa: Frappé coffee
- 2 teaspoons (8 ml) instant coffee
- 2 teaspoons (8 ml) sugar
- 1/4 cup ( 60 ml) cold water
- 1/2 ounce (15 ml) Baileys Original Irish Cream
- 3 – 4 ice cubes
- Additional cold water
- Cold milk (optional)
- In your frappé shaker, combine the instant coffee, sugar and 1/4 cup cold water. Seal well and shake, shake, shake. You will magically create a thick froth. The longer and more enthusiastically that you shake, the thicker and more plentiful your froth will be.
- Pour the froth into a glass which contains your ice (usually about 3 – 4 ice cubes). Pour the Baileys Original Irish Cream into your shaker, swirl it around and pour it into your glass, over the froth. Fill your shaker with a little more cold water (enough to fill whatever remaining space you have in your glass). Swish it around so that any remaining froth which is clinging to the sides is mixed into the water. Pour this into your glass.
- Add a straw and enjoy!