Are you looking for something easy, inexpensive and delicious? We always are! Good thing that our parents have shown us how to make their delicious chicken thighs. If you have a nicely organized spice drawer, you can probably get this meal in the oven in less than 5 minutes. If, however, your ratio of spice jars to available spice storage space is a problem, causing your spice jars to be piled up, one top of one another, which makes opening the door to retrieve the oregano a cause for alarm…it might take you 10 minutes. For the record, we have NO idea how you could live like that.
Chicken thighs are great because they are affordable, versatile and extremely tender. They are particularly tender when the bone is still attached, which is why our parents opt for them this way. If you like, you can try this recipe with thighs and drumsticks. It will be equally good, and the cooking time will be the same. Particularly if you have little ones, drumsticks are easy for them to eat, given that they come with a built in handle.
One of the ways that this chicken is flavoured is with barbecue spice. This is a prepared product; if you can’t find a seasoning called barbecue spice, you can try substituting equal amounts of ground nutmeg, cloves and coriander. These are the main ingredients in the barbecue spice blend our parents use, so simply combine them together to total 1/2 teaspoon.
These chicken thighs cook in a fair amount of vegetable oil, and they will release additional fat as they cook. In order to minimize the quantity of oil you will be using, choose a roasting pan which fits your chicken snugly.
While your chicken is roasting, you can prepare the rest of your meal. Good options include rice with vegetables, rapini or a green salad. All of these are quick and delicious recipes that will go really well with the chicken.
Mia Kouppa: Roasted chicken thighs
- 7 to 8 bone-in chicken thighs, with skin
- 1 teaspoon (4 ml) salt
- 1 teaspoon (4 ml) Greek oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon (2 ml) barbecue spice
- 2 teaspoons (8 ml) paprika
- vegetable oil for roasting pan (1/2 inch deep)
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Season your chicken thighs evenly with salt, oregano, barbecue spice and 1 teaspoon of paprika.
- Place in roasting pan and add enough vegetable oil so that it comes up about 1/2 inch on side of pan.
- Place on top rack of oven and bake, uncovered, for one hour and fifteen minutes. Turn chicken thighs over. Season with remaining 1 teaspoon of paprika. Return to oven for an additional 15 minutes. Enjoy.