Frozen honeydew, mint, lime juice and just the right splash of ouzo for your drinking pleasure
Our daughters are smoothie lovers. Breakfasts, snacks, and late night hunger pangs are often addressed with a medley of frozen fruit blended together with either milk or juice. So easy, they’ve been in charge of their own smoothie-making for years. Our job is to ensure that there is enough frozen fruit available, and to supply a lovely, colourful variety to keep things interesting.
Although we purchase bags of frozen fruit there are some choices that you just can’t find easily. And so, we cut up things like papaya, cantaloupe, passion fruit (yes, we are exotic over here), and freeze the chunks on baking sheets before transferring them to a freezer bag. One afternoon, feeling inspired and thirsty, and needing to free up some freezer space for the spanakopita we had made for another day, we decided to make some adult smoothies.
We grabbed some frozen honeydew, combined it with some lime juice, mint and simple syrup (which you should always have in your fridge) and declared it delicious, but not quite perfect. A splash of ouzo was added and this frozen drink went down smoother than any smoothie we’ve ever had.
Pin this recipe if you like it
We’re not sure about you, but we have a hard time finding frozen melons in the grocery store. This is not really a problem because freezing your own fruit is easy. Simply cut the fruit into small enough pieces that it will blend easily, lay it on a baking tray, cover loosely with plastic wrap and freeze until solid. At that point, transfer the frozen fruit to a freezer bag for easier storage and use as necessary.
The amount of ouzo we used gives a drink which is just right for us. If you prefer more ouzo, or less, adjust accordingly.
Thirsty for other delicious drinks with a kick? Check out these:
Cantaloupe frosty with ouzo
Toes in the sand island rum punch
Frappé coffee with chocolate and mint liqueur (Φραπέ με σοκολάτα και δυόσμο)
We love hearing from you! If you have made our recipes, or simply want to let us know something or you have a question, please leave a comment below!
Honeydew ouzo cocktail
- 1 1/4 cup frozen honeydew, in small cubes
- 2 tbsp cold water
- 1 1/2 - 2 tbsp ouzo
- 2 tsp fresh lime juice
- 1 tsp simple syrup *
- 2 fresh mint leaves
For garnish, optional
- 1 cube unfrozen honeydew
- 1 fresh mint leaf
- 1 small wedge of lime
* Simple syrup
- 1 cup water
- 1 cup granulated white sugar
- Place all ingredients for your drink (except for the garnish) into a blender and blend until smooth and there are no chunks left.
- Pour into a cocktail glass. If you like you can prepare the garnish by using a decorative skewer to hold the piece of honeydew, mint leaf and piece of lime.
- Serve immediately, and enjoy!
To make simple syrup
- Combine the sugar and water in a small sauce pot. Bring to a boil, and then reduce heat to medium stirring occasionally until the sugar dissolves.
- Transfer the simple syrup to a covered jar or plastic container and keep in the refrigerator to use as needed.