Eggs with potatoes and tomato is a quick and easy traditional Greek recipe
Αβγά με πατάτες και ντομάτα. This recipe is great for those days when you don’t have the energy to even think about cooking. Our parents never seem to be in this state. Still, they rely on this quick meal as a way to feed us an easy lunch, often when they were busy preparing an elaborate supper. In fact, the last time they made this dish for us was a few weeks ago, while we were Mia Kouppa-ing (yup! that’s a verb). We were busy cooking, note-taking, photographing, chasing after them with measuring spoons, and then, during a brief pause they decided that we must be hungry. And just like that, the potatoes were being peeled, and the eggs were being cracked. We didn’t actually feel hungry, but when our lunch of eggs with potatoes and tomato was placed in front of us, we realized that we were starving.
It’s hard to know what to call this dish. It’s not an omelet in the traditional sense of the word. It’s not really scrambled eggs. It’s not strapatsada (στραπατσάδα), which is a similar dish made without potato, but with the addition of feta. So, we figured that the simplest way to name eggs with potatoes and tomato is just like that – to simply list the main ingredients.
Make this recipe using our chunky tomato sauce
This recipe is only quick if you have already made our chunky tomato sauce, and there is some waiting in your fridge, ready to be used. If you haven’t made the sauce yet, or have run out of your supply (because it is SO good), you can follow the link here, make a batch, and then make these eggs with potatoes and tomato. If you’ve got some sauce left over, then you can make our baked eggplant, zucchini and potato recipe too. Happy days!
How to make eggs with potatoes and tomato without homemade chunky tomato sauce
However, if you are really wanting to make this recipe, and don’t have the time or inclination to make our chunky tomato sauce, then you can always use a sauce you have purchased. Buy the best brand and highest quality thick tomato sauce you can find. A tomato passata would work well here.
How to serve eggs with potatoes and tomato
This meal is often served at lunch or as a light supper. We love it with some feta, and a nice hunk of fresh bread (we seem to be saying that in a lot of our posts…but feta and bread go with almost everything, don’t they!?).
Eggs with potatoes and tomato
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 3 ½ cups grated potato
- 1 cup chunky tomato sauce or passata
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 4 large eggs
- In a large frying pan, heat the oil and then add the grated potatoes. Cook, over medium heat until the potatoes are cooked through. This will take approximately 10 minutes.2 tbsp olive oil, 3 ½ cups grated potato
- Once the potatoes are cooked, pour in the chunky tomato sauce and add the salt. Mix well. Carefully (because it's hot), take a taste and decide if you need more salt or not.1 cup chunky tomato sauce or passata, 1/4 teaspoon salt
- In a separate bowl, beat the eggs lightly.4 large eggs
- Pour the beaten eggs into the frying pan. Mix everything around. Use a spatula to move the mixture around to be sure that the egg gets cooked through (a few minutes, depending upon the size of your frying pan).