The cutest way to eat your salad – bite size appetizer perfect for a party
Bite size salad appetizer. A few days ago we saw a post on Instagram on the Women of Today feed for the most adorable appetizer ever! It was definitely one of those moments where we are amazed that something so simple could be so perfect! The best part is that we are looking for new and fun ways to serve some Super Bowl party food, and you can bet these these will be part of our menu.
The idea is simple. Think salad, served in bite size pieces as an appetizer (or meze as we like to call them in Greek). The ingredients are even simpler – lettuce, cucumber, radish, tomato and some store bought dressing. You can definitely use a homemade dressing (have you tried our lemon tahini dressing yet?), but bottled is just fine!
Although this bite size salad appetizer is easy, it’s not super easy. There are a few things to keep in mind.
- Start with a radish slice as your base. Trust us. It is sturdy enough to hold the rest of the ingredients, and secure the toothpick.
- Use small Lebanese cucumbers; their circumference will be almost as large as your radish, making eating bite size salad appetizer easy.
- Use the center part of your iceberg lettuce as this tends to be more compact and will hold together better than the outer leaves will. Still, you may find your lettuce falling apart. That’s fine. Pile the pieces of lettuce on top of one another. You will secure it all with a toothpick or a skewer so it should be fine.
- Although any cherry tomato will do, the elongated grape tomatoes work best if you can find them.
- We used a bottled ranch dressing here. Caesar, blue cheese, or creamy cucumber would work well too. Basically, you want a dressing which is a little thick so that it doesn’t just pour off your bites.
We kept our bite size salad appetizers really simple. You can dress them up more however. Here are a few ways you can do so:
- Consider adding a cube of cheese – maybe some cheddar or gouda!
- If you don’t like radishes, consider using a sliced carrot round as the base.
- Finish your bite size salad appetizers with some crumbled bacon bits.
If you like this idea for bite size salad appetizer, check out these other meze:
We love hearing from you! If you have made our recipes, or if you have a question or comment, or simply want to say Hi!, please leave a comment and star rating below! Also be sure to follow along with us, on Facebook, Instagram and Pinterest. We have lots of fun over there.
This post may contain some affiliate links, which means that we make a small commission off items you purchase at no additional cost to you.
Bite size salad appetizer
- 20 Hors d'oeuvre skewers or toothpicks
- ⅓ head iceberg lettuce
- 5 radishes
- 1 Lebanese cucumber
- 10 cherry tomatoes
- 3 tbsp favourite dressing Ranch or Caesar works out well
- Slice your radishes and cucumbers and set aside. Cut your cherry tomatoes in half. Cut your iceberg lettuce into 20 bite-size pieces.⅓ head iceberg lettuce, 5 radishes, 1 Lebanese cucumber, 10 cherry tomatoes
- Assemble your bite size salad appetizers. Begin with your slice of radishes, top with lettuce, cucumber slice and tomato half. Arrange on a platter and drizzle with dressing. Serve and enjoy!3 tbsp favourite dressing