A Greek potato salad made with fresh herbs and a light lemon vinaigrette.
We were well into our teenage years before we realized that North American potato salads were typically rich with mayonnaise. Our parents used mayonnaise quite sparingly in their cooking, and in fact one of the only recipes we remember which used lots of mayo was the classic Russian salad. Beyond that, mayonnaise was something we saw spread on pieces of white toast sandwiching a slice or two of bologna at our non-Greek friends’ homes.
We grew up with potato salads, like this Greek potato salad with herbs, which were fresh tasting, light, mayonnaise-less and easy to bring along to a picnic. With the warmer weather fast approaching and our herb gardens growing, now is the perfect time to make this family favourite.
What potatoes are best to use in potato salad?
We love using yellow fleshed potatoes in our Greek potato salad with herbs. Yukon Gold happen to be our favourites, but the truth is you can use any variety of potato you desire. Stay away from sweet potatoes however – they would be weird in this recipe.
What herbs are best for potato salad?
You can use any fresh herbs you like, in the quantities we have indicated. Traditionally, we have always had this potato salad with fresh parsley and dill. Mint would work well too, as would chives and even some basil. Tarragon would also be lovely – let your palate be your guide, and if you’re uncertain of what you would like, stick to our choices of parsley and dill!
What makes this a Greek potato salad with herbs?
Potato salads such as this one are popular in various parts of Greece where fresh ingredients and simple but fresh flavours are the basis of most recipes. Don’t be fooled however – this Greek potato salad with herbs recipe has no feta, and no olives!
Looking for more great potato salad recipes? Check these out:
We love hearing from you! If you have made our recipes, or if you have a question or comment, or simply want to say Hi!, please leave a comment and star rating below! Also be sure to follow along with us, on Facebook, Instagram and Pinterest. We have lots of fun over there.
This post may contain some affiliate links, which means that we make a small commission off items you purchase at no additional cost to you.
Greek Potato salad with herbs
- 5-6 medium size potatoes about 2 lbs
- 2 tsp salt divided
- 3 green onions chopped white and green part
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh dill
- 1/4 tsp pepper
For the dressing
- ¼ cup (60 mL) olive oil
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) fresh lemon juice or juice of half a lemon
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) white wine vinegar
- 1 tsp mustard Dijon or regular yellow mustard
- 1 tsp dry oregano
- ½ tsp grated lemon zest
- Peel and cube your potatoes into 1 inch pieces. Place in a large pot and add enough water to cover the potatoes by about 3 inches. Add 1 teaspoon of salt to the water and bring to a boil over high heat.. Lower the heat and cook, uncovered over medium heat for approximately 8-10 minutes or until the potatoes are fork tender.5-6 medium size potatoes
- While your potatoes are cooking prepare your dressing by combining all ingredients into a covered jar and shake until well combined. Alternatively you can place all ingredients in a bowl and whisk until emulsified. Set aside.¼ cup (60 mL) olive oil, 2 tbsp (30 mL) fresh lemon juice, 1 tbsp (15 mL) white wine vinegar, 1 tsp mustard, 1 tsp dry oregano, ½ tsp grated lemon zest
- Drain the potatoes and immediately place them back into your hot pot. Turn the heat on to the lowest setting possible and allow the heat to dry out your potatoes. This can take anywhere from 3 - 5 minutes. Check your potatoes frequently to make sure they don't burn and shake your pot gently during this time. Take care not to burn your potatoes.
- Transfer your potatoes into a large bowl and immediately add the green onion, the fresh herbs and the remaining 1 teaspoon salt and pepper. Pour the dressing over the ingredients and toss gently.3 green onions, 1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley, 1/4 cup chopped fresh dill, 1/4 tsp pepper
- Serve immediately/room temperature or cold.