A vegetarian take on the classic B.L.T. made with salty and squeaky halloumi cheese
Have you heard of halloumi? If you haven’t, then we are happy to help you make it’s acquaintance! Halloumi is a Cypriot cheese traditionally made of sheep and goat’s milk, and although it is now enjoyed in many parts of the world, it really is most popular in Cyprus and Greece. Because of it’s very high melting temperature, it is a great grilling and frying cheese. It maintains it’s shape when cooked so no melting cheese mess with halloumi! Instead what you get is a crispy exterior and a soft, melt-y interior.
Our parents served halloumi simply when we were young. Lightly fried, and served with a cut up tomato, olives and some bread. This was often a quick breakfast or after school snack. Despite halloumi’s saltiness (or perhaps because of it) this was a meal we never tired of.
Pin this recipe if you like it.
Here we’ve combined some of those elements to create the H.L.T., or Halloumi, Lettuce and Tomato sandwich. You won’t miss the bacon when you get flavour, saltiness and texture from the halloumi.
Love halloumi? Us too! Check out some other recipes starring halloumi:
We love hearing from you! If you have made our recipes, or if you have a question or comment, or simply want to say Hi!, please leave a comment below!
The H.L.T. or Halloumi, lettuce and tomato sandwich
- 2 slices rye bread
- 2 slices halloumi cheese, approximately 1/2 inch thick
- 1 tbsp olive oil, approximately
- 2 slices tomato
- 1 - 2 pieces iceberg lettuce
- Place your rye bread slices in a toaster or toaster oven and toast until done to your liking.
- Pat your halloumi dry with paper towels. Set aside.
- Brush a non-stick skillet with olive oil and set over medium heat. Add your halloumi cheese and cook for approximately 1 - 2 minutes per side until golden brown and crispy.
- When your cheese is ready, assemble your sandwich. Brush or drizzle each slice of rye bread with olive oil. Layer the halloumi, tomato slices and lettuce.
- Cut your sandwich in half if you like, serve and enjoy!