A grilled chicken bowl inspired by Greek flavours
What is it about bowls? Honestly, you could take every single component in our grilled chicken bowl, lay it all out on a dish, eat it, and think Well, that was delicious. But the minute you take all of these ingredients, arrange them in a bowl all pretty, you think, even before eating it Well, this is going to be delicious! Just like frappé tastes better sipped on a beach in Greece, just like ice cream tastes best right out of the container, this recipe taste better in a bowl than it does on a plate.
Bowls like our grilled chicken bowl are wonderful for their adaptability. We use a base of brown rice (you could easily substitute this for quinoa, bulgur or white rice) which is treated like a canvas. The rest of the ingredients are arranged in an organized, yet flexible manner and the result is a lovely display. Bowls are a wonderful way to adapt each meal to the preferences of the person you are serving it to. In our family for example, one person does not like tomatoes, so no tomatoes in her bowl – she gets extra cucumbers instead. You get the idea..
Although you can choose to top your bowl with any ingredients you like, we love the combination of grilled chicken that has been marinated in a yogourt sauce, feta, tomatoes, Kalamata olives, cucumber, red onion and grilled zucchini. These components give our grilled chicken bowl a Greek flair, and a great freshness and brightness. We hope that you love it as much as we do!
Love our grilled chicken bowl? Check out these recipes!
We love hearing from you! If you have made our recipes, or if you have a question or comment, or simply want to say Hi!, please leave a comment and star rating below! Also be sure to follow along with us, on Facebook, Instagram and Pinterest. We have lots of fun over there.
This post may contain some affiliate links, which means that we make a small commission off items you purchase at no additional cost to you.
Grilled chicken bowl
- 1 outdoor grill or grill pan
For the chicken
- 4 chicken breasts, skinless and boneless
- ¾ cup Greek yogourt, plain
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) olive oil
- 1 tbsp dijon mustard
- 1 tsp dry oregano
- 1 tsp granulated garlic powder
- 1 tsp salt
- ½ tsp pepper
For the bowl
- 2½ cups brown rice, cooked
- 20 Kalamata olives
- 1½ cups grilled zucchini See Recipe Note
- 1 cup diced cucumber
- 2 tomatoes, diced
- ⅔ cup crumbled Greek feta
- ¼ cup red onion, diced or in cut into slivers
- ¼ cup chopped parsley
For the dressing
- ¼ cup (60 mL) olive oil
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) white wine vinegar
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) lemon juice
- salt and pepper to taste
- 2 pitas
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) olive oil
- ½ tsp paprika
For the chicken:
- Whisk together all the ingredients for the marinade and pour it into a food storage bag or medium size bowl. Add the chicken breasts and marinade them in the refrigerator for at least 2 hours but ideally overnight.¾ cup Greek yogourt, plain, 1 tbsp (15 mL) olive oil, 1 tbsp dijon mustard, 1 tsp dry oregano, 1 tsp granulated garlic powder, 1 tsp salt, ½ tsp pepper, 4 chicken breasts, skinless and boneless
- Cook the chicken either on an outdoor grill or an indoor grill pan until the juices run clear and the internal temperature reaches 165 degrees F; this will take 6 to 8 minutes per side. Alternatively you can roast the chicken breasts in the oven at 350 degrees F for approximately 20 - 30 minutes.
- Allow the chicken to rest off the heat for about 5 minutes before slicing it on the diagonal. Set aside.
For the dressing:
- Combine all the ingredients in a bowl or jar with a lid and mix well to combine.¼ cup (60 mL) olive oil, 2 tbsp (30 mL) white wine vinegar, 1 tbsp (15 mL) lemon juice, salt and pepper to taste
Assemble your chicken bowl
- Divide the rice evenly into 4 bowls. Next, arrange the remaining ingredients as you wish on top of your rice, dividing them all equally by four.2½ cups brown rice, cooked, 20 Kalamata olives, 1½ cups grilled zucchini, 1 cup diced cucumber, ⅔ cup crumbled Greek feta, ¼ cup red onion, diced or in cut into slivers, ¼ cup chopped parsley, 2 tomatoes, diced
- Pour dressing over the bowls. Enjoy!
- If desired serve with pita bread that you have brushed with olive oil, sprinkled with paprika and grilled slightly.2 pitas, 1 tbsp (15 mL) olive oil, ½ tsp paprika