The secret to making the best grilled cheese sandwich includes a variety of cheeses and a few tricks
Now, we know that some of you are thinking….Please! A recipe for grilled cheese?! Who the heck needs a recipe for a food staple that most 7 year olds know how to make? Well, if your typical grilled cheese is white bread, a slice of American cheese, and some margarine, then we guess you are right – no recipe required. But, if you want to elevate your grilled cheese game to something that is epic, we’ve got the secret to making the best grilled cheese sandwich! Also, we actually love the white bread, processed cheese, margarine version too.
What follows are some of our tips and tricks to making the best grilled cheese sandwich we have ever had, and we’ve had some great grilled cheese sandwiches (for research purposes, of course). Take some of our advice, or all of it, and be sure to let us know what you think in the comments section! Let’s compare notes, and keep the research going!
Secret to making the best grilled cheese
Use a variety of cheeses
We find that three slices of cheese is the perfect amount for a respectable grilled cheese sandwich. Although you can use 3 slices of the same cheese, we like to mix things up a bit and use 3 varieties of cheese. You can certainly use what you like, but we almost always include a sharp cheddar and mozzarella. The cheddar has a nice strong flavour and the mozzarella gives that great oozy cheese pull. The third slice can be anything from Monterey Jack, Havarti, Gouda…any cheese you like!
Don’t use shredded cheese for your grilled cheese sandwich
Cheese slices melt more easily and are therefore much better than shredded cheese for your grilled cheese sandwich. If you use shredded cheese you will have to cook your sandwich longer in order to get it to melt, risking having it burn.
Add sliced pickles to your grilled cheese sandwich.
Yes! Although the sliced pickles are totally optional, we think you should give them a try. The pickles give a nice contrasting texture to the melty cheese, and a sour saltiness that is so good! Try the pickles and let us know what you think!
Create a crispy, cheesy crust on your bread.
This next tip is going to take your grilled cheese sandwich to the next level. If you’ve made our original tsoureki and feta grilled cheese (you should absolutely make this sandwich!), then you know that we love to spread mayonnaise on our bread, top it with grated cheese, and cook that in melted butter. The result is so much better than simply frying your bread in butter. Parmesan flavour, crispy texture…so perfect!
Choose a multigrain bread for your grilled cheese sandwich.
For even more contrasting textures, we like to use whole grain bread for our grilled cheese sandwich. Although the grilled cheese of your childhood may have relied on soft, pillow-y white bread (we admit, delicious!), multi-grain bread contributes a great flavour and texture to grilled cheese.
Another secret to making the best grilled cheese is to cook it over medium low heat.
Don’t rush the cooking time! Set your heat over medium to medium low. You want your bread to toast and get deliciously browned slowly, giving the cheese time to melt.
Looking for more great, cheesy recipes? Check these out:
We love hearing from you! If you have made our recipes, or if you have a question or comment, or simply want to say Hi!, please leave a comment and star rating below! Also be sure to follow along with us, on Facebook, Instagram and Pinterest. We have lots of fun over there.
The best grilled cheese
- non-stick frying pan
- 2 slices bread we prefer multi-grain
- 1 tbsp mayonnaise
- 2 tbsp grated parmesan
- 3 slices cheese we use a variety of cheeses, including mozzarella which give that great cheese pull.
- 2 slices pickle optional, but highly recommended
- 1 tbsp butter
- Spread mayonnaise on one side of each of your bread slices.2 slices bread, 1 tbsp mayonnaise
- Sprinkle the grated parmesan evenly over the mayonnaise and press down with the back of a spoon so that the cheese sticks to the mayonnaise.2 tbsp grated parmesan
- Melt the butter over medium heat in your non-stick skillet.1 tbsp butter
- When the butter has melted, add one slice of bread, mayonnaise side down, into the center of your pan. Add the 3 slices of cheese and the pickles and then top the the second slice of bread, mayonnaise side up.3 slices cheese, 2 slices pickle
- Press down lightly with the back of your spatula. Cook on one side for approximately 2 - 3 minutes. Flip and cook for an additional 2 - 3 minutes.
- Your sandwich is ready when the bread is toasted and browned and your cheese has melted.
- Transfer to a cutting board and slice in half using a serrated knife.
- Serve immediately and enjoy!