Spinach and cheese pita pocket full of spinach, feta and mozzarella.
Ever crave spanakopita, but don’t have the time, energy or desire to make one? We feel like that sometimes! In those moments we have been known to call our parents to see if they happen to be rolling out phyllo dough in the middle of the afternoon to make one of their amazing spanakopitas…and if they are, would they mind if we came by to take it. Although we are often in luck (these two have limitless energy), sometimes they inform us that, no! No spanakopita – but we could drive by to pick up some pastitsio and galaktoboureko, which we happily do. Still, after eating our fill of other delicious things, we still find ourselves wanting spanakopita.
Our spinach and cheese pita pocket is the easy answer! Pretty much all the flavours of spanakopita (with mozzarella cheese added for the cheese-pull factor!) and the crispy texture you get with home-made phyllo dough, but this time through the ease of a grilled pita bread. So easy, and delicious!
No need to dry your washed spinach.
Spinach needs to be washed really well before being used. We like to fill a clean sink or a large bowl with water and dunk the spinach and swish it around. Repeat a few times until the bottom of your sink or bowl no longer has any dirt. Next, simple drain your spinach and set aside. The water which remains clinging to your spinach will evaporate as it cooks down.
Use store-bought pita bread or homemade pita for your spinach and cheese pita pocket.
Although we love our homemade pita bread recipe, this recipe is perfectly delicious with the store-bought variety you see pictured here. Along with being easier and quicker, purchased pita bread tends to be thinner, leading to a crispier spinach and cheese pita pocket.
Heat up your pita bread to split it open easily.
Simply adding your pita to a dry heated pan and flipping it over a few times will warm it up enough to allow you to split it open easily. Alternatively, you can warm your pita bread up in the microwave.
Looking for more easy ways to get great spanakopita flavour – without making spanakopita!
We love hearing from you! If you have made our recipes, or if you have a question or comment, or simply want to say Hi!, please leave a comment and star rating below! Also be sure to follow along with us, on Facebook, Instagram and Pinterest. We have lots of fun over there.
Spinach and cheese pita pocket
- Grill pan
- 1 pita bread
- 2 tsp olive oil divided
- 1 green onion chopped (white and green parts)
- 3 tbsp chopped fresh dill
- 4 cups baby spinach, packed washed and with water still clinging to the leaves
- ⅓ cup feta, crumbled or cut into slices
- 4 slices mozzarella or ⅓ cup grated mozzarella
- 2 tbsp chopped red onion
- ¼ tsp salt
- pepper, to taste
- Heat your pan over medium heat and place your pita bread on the pan. Use tongs to flip it over a few times. You only want it to get warmed up because this tends to make it easier to create the pockets.1 pita bread
- Remove warmed up pita bread from pan and cut it in half. Take each half and carefully split the pita apart to create pockets. Set aside.
- In the same pan heat up 1 teaspoon of olive oil. Add the green onion and the dill and saute until softened, approximately 2 minutes. Season with salt and pepper.1 green onion, 3 tbsp chopped fresh dill, ¼ tsp salt, pepper, to taste
- Add the spinach to the pan and cook until the spinach is wilted down. Remove spinach from the pan and wipe the pan clean. Reduce heat and leave the pan off the element while you are preparing your pita pockets.4 cups baby spinach, packed
- Brush both sides of each pita pocket half with the remaining 1 tsp olive oil.
- Divide your spinach mixture in two and stuff each of the pita pockets. Next divide the feta, the mozzarella, and the red onions between the two pita pockets.⅓ cup feta, crumbled, 4 slices mozzarella, 2 tbsp chopped red onion
- Return the pan to the heating element and heat over medium-low heat. Add your pita pockets.
- Cook for approximately 2 minutes per side or until the pita is toasted and the cheese has melted.
- Serve immediately and enjoy!