Easy tuna salad ideal for sandwiches and wraps.
How wonderful is it when you have a container of tuna salad in the refrigerator, ready to be used in sandwiches, wraps or even dolloped on top of a green salad for a carb-free lunch? We love starting the week with this recipe in the fridge – it makes packing up lunches for school and work so easy!
Our easy tuna salad recipe is full of flavour, uses ingredients you probably already have at home, and requires little chopping. You can easily put this together in a few short moments and then spend the rest of your time meal-planning for the week’s breakfast with recipes like our egg zucchini muffins and our easy breakfast tortilla wraps.
Choose the tuna for your easy tuna salad wisely.
There are so many varieties and brands of canned tuna available that it is important to do a little research before settling on your purchase. We use flaked light tuna, packed in water for our tuna salad. This is a lighter and milder option than tuna packed in oil, and we prefer that. We also look for brands which focus on sustainability, which have low mercury levels in their tuna and with ethical harvesting methods. You can read more about the various tuna options you may see in your grocery store in this article.
Drain your tuna well.
The easiest way to drain your tuna is to pour it into a fine sieve and press down on it with the back of a spoon to squeeze as much of the water out as possible. It’s really important to do this, otherwise you end up with a wet tuna salad and soggy bread. That’s kind of gross.
Play around with the ingredient quantities listed in our easy tuna salad recipe.
Start with our quantities, and have a taste. Want more lemon zing? Add more lemon zest. Want your tuna salad creamier? Add more mayonnaise. Not salty enough for you? Too bad. Salt is bad for you and this amount is just fine.
Looking for more easy, packable lunch ideas? We’ve got these:
Pin this recipe if you like it!
We love hearing from you! If you have made our recipes, or if you have a question or comment, or simply want to say Hi!, please leave a comment below!
Easy tuna salad
- 2 cans chunk light tuna, in water 170 grams net / 120 grams drained
- 1 green onion, chopped (white and green parts)
- 3 tbsp (45 mL) mayonnaise
- ½ tbsp relish
- 1 tsp dijon mustard
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) lemon juice
- 1 tsp grated lemon rind
- ¼ tsp salt
- ¼ tsp pepper
To assemble a sandwich
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) olive oil, approximately
- sliced tomato
- 2 pieces sliced bread*
- Drain your tuna very well. Combine all ingredients for the tuna salad together in a bowl and mix until well combined.2 cans chunk light tuna, in water, 1 green onion, chopped (white and green parts), 3 tbsp (45 mL) mayonnaise, ½ tbsp relish, 1 tsp dijon mustard, 1 tbsp (15 mL) lemon juice, 1 tsp grated lemon rind, ¼ tsp salt, ¼ tsp pepper
- Taste the tuna salad and adjust seasoning to your taste.
To assemble sandwich
- Toast your sliced bread. Drizzle olive oil on one side of each slice.1 tbsp (15 mL) olive oil, approximately, 2 pieces sliced bread*
- Top one slice of toast with about ¼ cup tuna salad filling. Add sliced tomatoes and lettuce.sliced tomato, lettuce
- You can also use tortillas or pita bread to make wraps or pita pocket sandwiches.
- Nutrition facts are only for the tuna salad (does not include bread and accompaniments)