The best chocolate chip banana bread, super moist and easy
Everyone needs an amazing banana bread recipe in their repertoire of recipes! We have already posted one of our favourites, a vegan banana bread that is simple, super moist and perfect for anyone following a plant-based diet. And now, we’re so happy to share with you what we consider to be the best chocolate chip banana bread. It is so moist, and so easy that you will probably start making it as often as we do…which lately has been at least once a week.
Banana bread is a great way to use up very ripe bananas. Over-ripe bananas are the secret to the sweetest and moistest banana bread! We don’t know about you but one of us prefers to eat our bananas at a specific level of ripeness; still firm with a yellow peel sporting a few brown spots…but not too many! The other one of us actually hates eating bananas (weirdo) – unless they are baked in a bread, like this one.
No matter how you enjoy your bananas, the fact is they only stay a certain way for a short period of time – bananas don’t have a very stable shelf life it seems. So, when your bananas are not perfect for you to snack on, be sure to bake this chocolate chip banana bread! You can also check out this great article from Fine Cooking magazine which highlights how to best use your bananas, depending on their stage of ripeness. Very neat!
Make use of your overripe bananas
If you have bananas that are teetering on the edge of too ripe and close to rotten but not there yet, get to baking!! Overripe bananas are sweeter and make for a lovely banana bread. No time to bake just yet? No worries. Stick your bananas in the freezer to be used when you’re ready. You can either peel and slice your bananas before freezing or do what we do – freeze them whole and with the peel still on. When you are ready to bake simply defrost your bananas. Then use a sharp knife to cut a slit in the peel, and squeeze the banana right out. A little gross, but effective.
Mash your bananas with ease!
This is a really easy recipe. Even the most novice baker will be able to make this cake with great success. Although easy, and quick to put together, mashing bananas can sometimes be a drag. This is especially true when you are rebelling against the advice of bakers everywhere by using bananas that are firm and barely ripe. Although the bananas can be mashed using a fork we have a great hack that makes banana mashing simple…and fun! You can watch our method over on our You Tube channel by clicking here. Don’t forget to subscribe to our You Tube channel so that you don’t miss any of our videos! And so that we can finally get to 1,000 You Tube subscribers 🙂
Freeze your chocolate chip banana bread
Most times we can finish off this banana bread in a couple of days. The cake stays nice and fresh for a few days at room temperature so long as it is properly wrapped. You can also freeze the chocolate chip banana bread. You can freeze the entire loaf easily. Otherwise, slice it up into 8 or 10 individual pieces and wrap them individually to freeze. This way, they are super easy to pack along for lunch or a breakfast on the go.
Looking for more great recipes to bake? We’ve got these:
Raspberry lemon jelly roll cake
We love hearing from you! If you have made our recipes, or if you have a question or comment, or simply want to say Hi!, please leave a comment below!
Chocolate chip banana bread
- 3 bananas
- 1 large egg
- 1 cup (200 grams) brown sugar
- ½ cup (125 mL) vegetable oil
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 cups (335 grams) all purpose flour 335 grams
- 1 tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- ½ tsp salt
- 1 cup (175 grams) dark chocolate chips, or chunks plus 3 tbsp for sprinkling over top, optional
- cooking spray for loaf pan
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Mash your bananas and set aside.3 bananas
- In the bowl of your stand mixer combine the egg and the brown sugar. Beat well using the paddle attachment for approximately 5 - 7 minutes.1 large egg, 1 cup (200 grams) brown sugar
- Slowly add in the oil and the vanilla extract. Beat again for another 2 - 3 minutes.½ cup (125 mL) vegetable oil, 1 tsp vanilla extract
- Meanwhile, in a bowl whisk together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon and salt.2 cups (335 grams) all purpose flour, 1 tsp baking powder, ½ tsp baking soda, 1 tsp cinnamon, ½ tsp salt
- With the mixer speed set to low, slowly add the flour to the mixer bowl. Mix until just well combined.
- With the mixer speed still on low, add in the mashed bananas. Once combined, add in the chocolate chips or chunks. Mix until well combined.1 cup (175 grams) dark chocolate chips, or chunks
- Line your loaf pan with parchment paper and spray with cooking spray.cooking spray for loaf pan
- Transfer the batter to the loaf pan and if desired top the cake batter with the extra 3 tablespoons of chocolate chips. Bake in the middle rack of your oven for 50 - 60 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center of your cake comes out clean.
- Allow to cool in your loaf pan for 5 minutes and then transfer to a cooling rack.