Tsoureki french toast stuffed with chocolate hazelnut spread and banana
Whenever we go out for breakfast or brunch with our family one thing is certain; if there is a menu option which combines bananas and chocolate, someone will be ordering it. Everyone else will try to sneak a taste between bites of their own fruit cup and egg white omelet.
This winning combination of flavours can be enjoyed in so many ways. And in this post-Pascha period, when we are lucky enough to have some tsoureki left over, it only seemed natural to come up this!
Here we have taken the best of many worlds; sweet tsoureki, chocolate hazelnut spread, bananas grilled together as a stuffed french toast. We’re kind of thinking that this is the epitome of delicious.
Although this recipe was created with the Greek sweet Easter bread tsoureki in mind, if you don’t have tsoureki you can always try it with another sweet bread, like challah.
Looking for other ways to re-purpose your tsoureki? Check out these recipes:
We love hearing from you! If you have made our recipes, or if you have a question or comment, or simply want to say Hi!, please leave a comment below!
Banana and chocolate tsoureki french toast
- 2 slices tsoureki
- 1/2 banana, sliced into rounds
- 1 - 2 tbsp chocolate hazelnut spread
- 1 egg
- 2 tbsp milk
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tbsp butter
- In a shallow bowl beat together the egg, milk and cinnamon.
- Prepare your tsoureki by spreading the chocolate hazelnut spread on one of the pieces. Top with banana slices. Top with the second piece of tsoureki.
- Once you have assembled your sandwich, melt the butter in a non-stick pan.
- Dip both sides of your sandwich into the egg/milk mixture and cook in your pan over medium heat for a few minutes per side. Your stuffed french toast is ready when golden brown on both sides.
- Serve immediately. You can top with a drizzle of maple syrup, some powdered sugar, or serve it plain.