Quick and easy vegan chickpea wraps
It’s 7:00 pm on the evening that we have planned to post this recipe. The recipe itself is already written, but this part, well….it’s a work in progress. Like, at this very moment, the writer half of us is trying to write something interesting, relevant, and chickpea wrap worthy…while ignoring the messages from the photographer half of us who is wondering if the post is done, so that she can go in and add the photos.
The reality is, the writer is tired; exhausted actually, and feeling less creative and inspired than she usually is. But, in an effort to put out this actual chickpea wrap recipe, which is worthy of so much more than this sad and bordering-on-whiny post, let’s stop and focus exclusively on the recipe itself.
This chickpea wrap is the perfect vegan meal. It comes together in just a few moments, it has all sorts of lovely textures going for it, and the flavour is subtle but not lacking. And, these wraps are pretty! Cut in half and displayed nicely on a platter, these chickpea wraps would make a great addition to a buffet lunch.
The texture of the chickpea mixture is really at your discretion. We like the texture to remain a little chunky, so we mash the chickpeas with a fork. If you prefer a smoother consistency then you can blend the chickpeas in a blender or food processor.
If you prefer not to make wraps with this filling you can use regular sliced bread. One of our daughters has also topped rice cakes with the chickpea filling and then added the onions and spinach on top of that. Pretty, and delicious!
We find that wraps kept in the refrigerator overnight get a little soggy; we would recommend that the wraps be assembled the day you are serving them; any extra chickpea filling can be kept in the fridge in a container.
Pin this recipe if you like it!
Looking for more sandwich or wrap ideas? Look at these:
We love hearing from you! If you have made our recipes, or if you have a question or comment, or simply want to say Hi!, please leave a comment below!
- 19 ounces canned chickpeas
- 1/3 cup lemon juice, freshly squeezed
- 1 tbsp tahini
- 1/3 cup chopped parsley
- 2 cups baby spinach
- 1 white onion, sliced into slivers
- 1 cucumber, sliced into rounds
- 6 flour tortillas
- Drain your chickpeas and rinse them under cold running water. Transfer the chickpeas to a medium sized bowl and add the lemon juice.
- With a fork, the back of a spoon or a potato masher begin mashing the chickpeas. You can mash them as much as you like, depending on the texture you want to end up with.
- Stir in the tahini and then the chopped parsley. Set aside.
- To assemble your wraps place approximately 1/3 cup of the chickpea mixture on your tortilla and spread it carefully to cover the surface evenly.
- On one end lay out several cucumber slices, and top with strips of white onion. Top with approximately 1/3 cup of spinach leaves.
- Roll your wrap and cut each wrap in half to serve.