A gorgeous bowl of orange! A vegan soup full of beta-carotene and protein.
What a treat this soup is! Although our usual lentil soup is fakes, that classic Greek soup made with brown or green lentils, this red lentil and vegetable soup is a vibrant alternative.
Like other lentils, red lentils are highly nutritious filling, inexpensive and versatile. Their subtle flavour makes it easy to incorporate them into all kinds of dishes, and the fact that they don’t retain their shape when cooked is sometimes an added bonus.
We’ve already shared one of our favourite ways with red lentils with this recipe for spicy red lentil and bulgur wraps with a tahini slaw; a favourite vegan lunch option. Today we’re happy to share our red lentil soup which is full of hearty and flavourful vegetables.
This soup freezes really well, so you can easily double, or even triple the recipe in order to store some in your freezer. This makes a great dinner at the ready when you have nothing else to cook. Frozen in individual serving size containers this is a great soup to take along for lunch as well.
We like to puree the entire soup so that it is creamy and smooth. If you would like more texture to your soup, simply puree only half of it.
Pin this recipe if you like it!
Looking for more vegan soups? Check these out:
We love hearing from you! If you have made our recipes, or if you have a question or comment, or simply want to say Hi!, please leave a comment below!
Red lentil soup (Κόκκινες φακές σούπα)
- Immersion blender or blender
- 2 cups dry red lentils
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1 stalk celery chopped
- 1 tsp tumeric
- 1/2 tsp dry mustard
- 1/2 tsp chili flakes
- 2 sweet potatoes, medium approximately 4 cups cubed
- 2 carrots, medium approximately 2 cups cubed
- 2 cups vegetable broth
- 6 cups water
- 1/2 tsp salt
- Pick through your red lentils to remove any small stones. Rinse your lentils and set aside.
- In a large pot heat your olive oil over medium heat and add the chopped celery; saute for 2 - 3 minutes. Next add the tumeric, dry mustard and chili flakes. Cook, stirring for an additional 1 - 2 minutes.
- To the pot add the remaining ingredients (the cubed carrots and sweet potatoes, the red lentils the vegetable broth and the water) except for the salt.
- Cook, stirring occasionally over medium heat for approximately 45 minutes.
- Add the salt. Using a handheld immersion blender, or a blender, puree your soup. You can either puree the soup entirely or only half of it if you prefer for your soup to have some texture.