Mixed greens tossed with apple wedges and slivered almonds, tossed with an apple cider vinaigrette
We try to have salad for lunch almost every day. It’s easy, nutritious, generally low-calorie and the options are limitless. In the summer, when the garden tomatoes are at their finest we tend to eat a horiatiki, or Greek salad, every day. Other seasons, we try to incorporate different ingredients, like apples in the fall.
This super simple salad is a breeze to make, but don’t let its few basic ingredients fool you; the flavour is big.
Tart and crunchy apples, fresh greens, and the added flavour of almonds all tossed with a mildly sweet vinaigrette made with olive oil and apple cider vinegar.
We love to make this salad with a mixed greens or spring mix that we usually find boxed at the grocery store. You can use whatever lettuce or green you would like however. Spinach could be a great alternative, or a butter boston lettuce. We also use Granny Smith apples because we love the tartness that they bring, but feel free to use another variety of apple if you like.
Pin this recipe if you like it
Regardless of the apple type that you choose, it is important to take about 5 minutes to soak the apples wedges in lemon water as we describe in the recipe. This will keep your apples from browning, which can occur pretty quickly.
You may find that you don’t want to use all of the dressing for your salad. No worries, it keeps very well in the fridge to be used another day.
Want some more salad inspiration? Have you seen these recipes?
We love hearing from you! If you have made our recipes, or if you have a question or comment, or simply want to say Hi!, please leave a comment below!
Apple and almond salad
For the salad
- 3 cups mixed greens or spring mix
- 1 green apple, cored and cut into wedges
- 1/2 lemon
- 1/4 cup slivered almonds
- 2 green onions, finely chopped
For the dressing
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 1/4 cup apple cider vinegar
- 1/4 cup pure maple syrup
- 1 tsp Dijon mustard
- salt and pepper, to taste
To make the dressing
- Combine all of the dressing ingredients in a jar with a well sealing lid and shake well until emulsified. Alternatively, combine all the ingredients in a bowl and whisk until well combined.
To assemble your salad
- Place your apple wedges in a small bowl and cover them with cold water. Add the juice from your 1/2 lemon. Mix around and set aside for at least 5 minutes.
- Wash your lettuce greens and spin dry. Place in a large salad bowl.
- Drain your apple wedges well and add them to your mixed greens. Next add the almonds and green onions.
- Pour as much of the dressing as you would like over your salad and toss well to evenly coat all of your ingredients.