Vegan wraps filled with spicy red lentil and bulgur mix topped with a tangy vegetable slaw
There is so much going on here! These spicy wraps are exploding with flavour, nutritious ingredients and pretty colours. Inspired by a recipe we found on The Kitchn website, which credited Trader Joe’s as their inspiration, this is our version of a vegan wrap that we believe is going to become a favourite of yours.
We came up with this recipe last spring when one of us catered a lenten brunch for our church youth group. By making the wrap filling and the slaw the day before, the morning of the event, all that was left to do was assemble them. Delicious, and convenient!
Since making these red lentil and bulgur wraps for the first time, they have become a regular feature in our kitchens. These wraps make perfect take along lunches, and light suppers. We’ve also been known to have them for breakfast, because they’re that yummy!
The lentil and bulgur filling for these wraps can be made ahead and frozen. This can come in very handy if you are only serving a few wraps at a time.
We use a prepared hot pepper spread in these wraps. The spread adds flavour, and heat. If you cannot find hot pepper spread, you can use another prepared red pepper or vegetable spread. If you cannot find even that, consider adding thinly sliced roasted red peppers; you can usually find these in jars packed in olive oil.
Pin this recipe if you like it!
Looking for other vegan options? Check out these ideas:
We love hearing from you! If you have made our recipes, or if you have a question or comment, or simply want to say Hi!, please leave a comment below!
Red lentil and bulgur wraps with a tahini slaw
For the filling
- 1/2 cup red lentils, rinsed
- 3/4 cup fine bulgur
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 2 tsp ground cumin
- 2 tsp paprika
- 1 1/2 tsp red pepper flakes
- 1 medium onion, finely diced
- 1 green onion, chopped
- 2 tbsp flat leaf parsley, chopped
- 1/2 tsp salt
- pepper, to taste
For the tahini slaw
- 1/2 cup grated green cabbage
- 1/2 cup grated carrot
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley
- 1/3 cup tahini
- 1 and 1/2 lemons, juiced
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 3 - 4 tbsp water
- 1/2 tsp red chili flakes
- 1/2 tsp salt
To assemble wraps
- 6 large tortilla wraps
- 6 tbsp prepared hot pepper spread see note
To make the filling
- In a medium sized pot add 2 cups water and the rinsed red lentils. Stir well, and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium and cover the pot. Boil lentils for approximately 20 minutes until they are soft.
- Remove the pot from the heat and stir in the bulgur. Mix well and cover the pot for approximately 30 minutes until all of the water has been absorbed.
- Meanwhile, in a medium sized pan heat the olive oil. Add the cumin, paprika, red pepper flakes and the chopped onions. Cook for approximately 5 minutes over medium heat until the onions are soft and translucent.
- Stir the onion mixture, including the cooking oil, into the bulgur and lentil mixture. Add the parsley, green onions, salt and pepper and mix well. Allow to cool completely.
To make the tahini slaw
- In a medium sized bowl combine the grated cabbage, carrots and parsley. Mix well.
- In a smaller bowl make the tahini dressing. Combine the tahini, lemon juice, garlic, water, red pepper flakes and salt. Mix well with a wire whisk or a fork.
- Pour the dressing over the vegetable mixture and toss to coat.
To assemble the wraps
- Spread 1 tablespoon of prepared hot pepper spread along one side of the tortilla wrap. Top with 1/6 of the lentil mixture and 1/6 of the coleslaw. Wrap your tortilla by first folding in the sides and then rolling to enclose the filling.
- To serve, cut your tortilla wrap in half with a sharp knife.