Egg noodles pasta topped with an egg fried in olive oil
Whenever we’re in a rush and need to get a meal on the table quick, we tend to turn to either a pasta dish like spaghetti with olive oil and mizithra, or an egg dish, like an omelette full of Greek flavour. Pasta and eggs are the start of so many quick, nutritious and easy meals. In this recipe these two go-to staples are combined to create a recipe that was a regular in our home growing up.
Pasta topped with fried egg was always a specialty of our fathers, who tends to be the egg-man of the house. Whether he is making tsik tsik the way his mother taught him to, or a soft boiled egg for his grand-daughters’ morning snack, our father has cracked thousands of eggs, we’re sure. In this recipe, he fries an egg in olive oil. This was the only way we had fried eggs ,and the only way you should too, because it’s delicious! He then uses this egg to top a plate of pasta that has been tossed with mizithra, the delicious hard Greek cheese made of sheep or goat’s milk which tops everything requiring cheese.
The key to making this dish luxurious (yes, staples like eggs and pasta can be luxurious) is to be sure that the egg is fried to the point where the whites are cooked through and the yolk is still runny. Then, when it comes time to eat, cut through the yolk with your fork or a knife and let the golden deliciousness mix with your pasta. It’s a beautiful thing!
If you like this recipe, Pin it!
If you love the idea of pasta topped with fried egg, try these recipes too:
Pasta topped with fried egg
- 1 large pot
- 1 Strainer for pasta
- 125 grams tagliatelle egg noodles or preferred pasta
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/4 cup grated mizithra or a combination of grated parmesan and romano
- 1/4 tsp dry oregano
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 2 large eggs
- 1/4 tsp salt or to taste
- 1/4 tsp ground black pepper or to taste
- Fill a large pot with water, add salt and cook pasta according to package directions.125 grams tagliatelle egg noodles, 1 tsp salt
- When the pasta is cooked, drain and toss with the mizithra and oregano. Transfer to serving dishes and set aside until you fry the eggs.1/4 cup grated mizithra, 1/4 tsp dry oregano
- Heat the olive oil in a medium size skillet over medium heat; the oil should be 1 cm deep in the pan. If you are not using a non-stick surface, spray your pan with cooking spray before adding the olive oil.1/4 cup olive oil
- Crack your eggs into a bowl one at a time and gently slip them into the hot oil. The eggs should start to cook immediately, with the egg whites turning opaque very quickly.2 large eggs
- Turn the heat down to medium and cook eggs carefully. Tilt your pan to one side occasionally to pool the hot oil into one side of the pan. This will help stop any oil splattering. Also, with a tablespoon, scoop up some of the hot oil and carefully pour it over the egg yolks. Repeat this several times, depending upon how runny (or not) you want your yolks. For this dish, a runny yolk is preferable. Watch video here.
- Continue to cook your eggs until you have a nice, golden, crispy outer edge to your egg whites.
- Using a slotted spatula, carefully remove your eggs from the frying pan and transfer one egg to each dish of pasta. Pour the olive oil which is in the pan over the pasta as well, dividing it as evenly as possible.
- Season with salt and pepper and additional mizithra if desired.1/4 tsp salt, 1/4 tsp ground black pepper
- Break the yolk over the pasta and enjoy!