Vegan chocolate and strawberry cookies are delicious little bites, which could easily be called brownies
Don’t you just love it when you can convince yourself that dessert is healthy…or at least, not horribly bad for you?! We do! and that is exactly what we do with these vegan chocolate and strawberry cookies. Not only are these two-bite cookies (which could just as easily be called brownies)vegan (automatically healthy right??!!), but they are also incredibly easy to whip together. Also fun, they contain a secret ingredient which makes them that much more lovely. Who doesn’t love a recipe with a secret ingredient?
You may have already read ahead and learned that the secret ingredient in this recipe is strawberry jam; isn’t that wonderful? The most wonderful part is that you can get creative and use your jam of preference. We think that blueberry would be nice, or cherry. In choosing your jam, here are a few things to consider. Obviously, pick a flavour that you like, but also, a good quality jam. If you can get your hands on something homemade, even better! We especially like the bits of strawberry which were found in our jam; this imparts a great flavour and texture to the finished cookie.
We use a mini-scooper to portion out these cookies. If you don’t already have a mini-scooper, we suggest you invest in one, especially because the investment will be small. These scoopers, which tend to be about 1 tablespoon large, are great for shaping cookies. They are also wonderful for scooping batter into mini-cupcake trays and for portioning out the mixture for keftedes (Greek meatballs). Using a scooper will ensure that all of your cookies are the same size, which helps with the baking time.
You will notice in the photos that we do not flatten out the cookie batter once it has been scooped onto the baking tray. We like for these chocolate and strawberry cookies to remain rounded. If you prefer, you can flatten your batter out; just be sure to adjust your cooking time.
These cookies freeze beautifully after baking. Simple allow them to cool and then place in freezer bags. Defrost them on the counter for a few hours when you are ready to enjoy them.
Vegan chocolate and strawberry cookies
- 280 grams sugar or 1 1/4 cups
- 160 ml vegetable oil or 3/4 cup
- 440 grams all purpose flour or 2 3/4 cups
- 80 grams cocoa powder or 1/2 cup
- 2 tbsp baking powder
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 400 grams strawberry jam
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer combine the sugar and vegetable oil. Mix well for 1 – 2 minutes until very well combined. Alternatively you can mix the ingredients together with a hand held electric mixer, or with a whisk.
- In a separate bowl whisk together the flour, cocoa powder, baking powder, cinnamon and salt and mix until well combined.
- With the mixer off, add the flour mixture to the oil and sugar. Then, add the strawberry jam. Mix together for 1 – 2 minutes until everything is combined well.
- Using a 1 tablespoon mini scooper, or a spoon, place the dough onto a parchment lined cookie sheet. Leave about 1 inch of space between each cookie.
- Bake in the middle rack of your preheated oven for 10 – 12 minutes, being careful not to burn your cookies. Note that your cookies will not change shape too much during the baking process.
- As your cookies bake, remove from the oven and transfer immediately to a cooling rack to cool.