A grilled vegetable salad with a fresh herb dressing
Once again, zucchini feature prominently in this recipe. We just can’t get enough of this summer squash staple, whether we are turning them into chips, fritters or mixing them with other summer vegetables to make a quick meal. In this recipe, we use both green zucchini and yellow squash (which is often called yellow zucchini). Although both of these vegetables have very similar flavours, the difference in their colour makes this salad more interesting visually. Add to that the colourful bell peppers and the fresh green herbs and before you know it you will have a bowl of coloured goodness to serve.
We are very much into pretty food, so if you can find both yellow and green summer squash, be sure to use them in this recipe. Having said that, this salad is so good that if all you can get your hands on is one type of zucchini, use that. Pretty is important, but taste is paramount…and the taste here is great.
If you don’t have an outdoor grill you can always grill your vegetables on a stove top grill pan (cast iron is preferable, if you have it). The actual method and recipe should remain very similar whether you use an outdoor grill or a pan.
Mia Kouppa: Grilled zucchini and pepper salad
- 4 medium sized summer squash or zucchini (green and yellow)
- 1 red bell pepper
- 1 yellow bell pepper
- 2 medium size yellow onions
- olive oil for brushing onto the vegetables
- salt and pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano For the dressing:
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 2 teaspoons red wine vinegar
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh basil
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
- ground black pepper, to taste
- Wash your summer squash (zucchini). Remove the stem end and slice them length-wise.
- Wash the bell peppers and cut off the tops. Then, cut each pepper in half, length-wise. Scoop out the seeds and white ribs.
- Peel the onions and slice them in half length-wise.
- Preheat your outdoor grill to high.
- Brush the cut sides of the zucchini, peppers and onions with olive oil; season with salt, pepper and the oregano.
- Grill the vegetables cut side down, for approximately 7 minutes, rotating the vegetables halfway through so that you can get some nice grill marks on them.
- Flip the vegetables, brush them with oil, and grill for an additional 2 minutes.
- Remove the zucchini from the grill; the peppers and onions might require an additional few minutes. The vegetables are to be fork tender.
- Remove the vegetables from the grill and set them aside until they are cool enough to handle. Then, cut the vegetables into one inch pieces and place them in a bowl.
- To the vegetables, add the dressing ingredients one at a time; add the 1/2 teaspoon salt, the olive oil, lemon juice, red wine vinegar, basil, parsley and ground black pepper.
- Toss gently to combine.
- Serve immediately and enjoy!