Boiling then broiling gives the most delectable chicken!
Some things in life make no logical sense, and yet still seem to work. This recipe is an example of that. Reading through the directions which follow you would assume that the chicken, which is boiled twice and then broiled, would end up over-cooked and dry; certainly not something worth writing about. But, you would be wrong. Despite the somewhat unusual cooking method and minimal seasoning, you end up with a meal which is delicious, tender and definitely worth posting about.
This recipe calls for chicken drumsticks with the thighs still attached. You could use only drumsticks if you like, or only thighs. If you choose the latter, be sure to use the thighs with the bone.
You will notice that you boil the chicken twice, and you will change the water in between. Our parents believe that doing so helps to remove excess fat; that seems to make sense, so we suggest that you do as our parents do.
You will need a roasting pan with a rack for this recipe. As you are broiling the chicken you will also be steaming it by having water in the base of the roasting pan.
Mia Kouppa: Broiled chicken
- 5 chicken drumsticks, with thighs still attached
- 1 tablespoon (15 ml) salt
- 1 tablespoon (15 ml) dried oregano
- 1/2 tablespoon (7 ml) paprika
- 1/4 cup (60 ml) fresh lemon juice
- 1/4 cup (60 ml) olive oil
- Boil a large pot of water and add the chicken to it. Boil for about 30 minutes. Drain and discard the water. Wash your pot and reboil a large pot of water. Add the chicken to the fresh water and boil for an additional 30 minutes
- Remove the chicken from the pot. Sprinkle it with salt, oregano and paprika.
- Turn your oven on to Broil.
- Place your chicken pieces on the rack of a roasting pan. Add about 1/2 cup of water to the bottom of the pan (about 1 inch deep). Broil your chicken for 10 minutes. Flip the pieces over carefully and broil for an additional 10 minutes, until they are golden brown on all sides. Place your chicken on a platter and pour the lemon juice and olive oil over the chicken. Enjoy.